Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mecha Con

There is no better feeling in the world than driving through the streets of the city you love. For me, my heart belongs to New Orleans. I love everything about NOLA, from the food to the culture. The city's history... my family's history... could never be burned or drowned. My ancestors fought against the British and the Union to protect this city... our home, needless to say our roots run deep for Louisiana. So when it came to attending this event, it was really easy to twist my arm.

Day 1 at Mecha Con:

This was the quiet day. Mostly hung around the booth and talked with the other exhibitors. There were a few awesome cosplayers but I didn't get a chance to get their pictures. I did take some pics of the city...





Day 2 at Mecha Con:

Today was much busier. It started off with the Voice Actors Panel with great talents like Steve Blum, Johnny Yong Bosch, Kyle Hebert, Scott McNeil, and J. Michael Tatum. It was hilarious watching them up there. I mostly came to listen to Steve Blum but it seemed everyone wanted Johnny or Michael to speak... oh well. Right after the panel, I had to go prep for the costume contest... missing out on getting the autographs of these amazing voice actors. 


I really didn't expect many people to recognize who Commander Shepard was. Especially since I was approached by a lot of people asking what my costume was... and most of them confessed they don't play video games. But one of the judges was thrilled about seeing a femShep, she apparently wouldn't shut up about me to the other judges. I had a tough act to follow as well. The people before me did Delta and Big Sister from Bioshock 2... impressive costume and even the drill spun around! I was thinking, "Well damn, no one will cheer for me now." The moment they announced who I was portraying, I could hear the crowd being just as loud as when Delta turned on his drill. I get up on stage acting super serious and when I get down the runway, I pointed my gun at the crowd and then started doing Shepard's bad dance moves. When I got backstage, one of the Team Fortress 2 cosplayers came up and said they loved my act. I didn't win but Shepard did get a lot of hugs that night.

Day 3 of Mecha Con:

The final day. I started with Cosplay Chess, playing as a pawn in the first round and a knight in the second. I love doing cosplay chess because I can get away with trash talking... in fact they encourage it! 

My team from Round 2. I stood next to Alphonse Elric. And yes... that's Neo.
 For the first time I didn't get to attack anyone... which is sad because I did work up an epic kill. No one took me out in the first round but Vash the Stampede defeated the knight. They stuck their finger down my barrel and no matter how many times I attempted to get medi-gel, I still ended up with Critical Mission Failure. 

Right after the cosplay chess was another chance to get Steve Blum's autograph. They were lining up people and I got in right behind the Vash that took me out. Since I had a few minutes to burn, I decided to show a certain cosplayer who is the best in the galaxy...


When we got into the room for autographs, I immediately went to the line for Steve Blum. I'm glad I did too since he was going to be leaving fairly early too. When it was my turn, I couldn't contain my giddy fangirl side from coming out. You have to understand one thing, Cowboy Bebop was the first anime I ever got into and Steve Blum is the voice of Spike Spiegel. Not only did he voice so many other animes/games/etc but he voiced Grunt in Mass Effect 2 and Oghren in Dragon Age, so he became even more epic to me. He was on my list of "People to Meet in My Lifetime" and I finally got my chance. I asked him if he would be willing to do a quick little skit with me and he agreed... (*squeals in delight*)

 

That will be by far my favorite video I have ever recorded! Thank you Steve Blum!

The last thing I attended at Mecha Con was an auction benefiting the NOLA Japan Quake Fund. Steve Blum, who does a lot for charities, donated an autographed copy of the script of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, if I had more money I would have totally gone for it, as well as his voice acting for 30 seconds. I bid on three items and actually ended up walking away with one. The Black Lagoon Second Barrage collectors tin signed by the voice actor of Rock, Brad Swaile. After that, Matt and I packed up and headed home. Another successful convention and another great time spent doing what I love...

Sometimes it's worth all the driving I do...
See you space cowboy...

No comments:

Post a Comment