Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chicago Comic Con

First off, I have never been to Chicago... and driving there is NUTS! It's one thing to weave through traffic, it's a completely different thing to drive 20 miles over the speed limit in a construction zone! I did get lost the first night while trying to find the TGI Fridays... went the complete opposite direction and ended up at the restaurant 2 hours later than expected. I made it up to myself by getting a Chicago Dog, which was delicious! That said, let's talk about the Wizard World Chicago Comic Con!

Day One at CCC:

I was attending with Dee Dunn, it was her first time ever going to a Comic Con. So I figured a smallish one like Chicago would be a good way to start the convention addiction, or pop her cherry. The first day was a short one, only being open for 4 hours. Mostly it was to see some of the vendors and take a gander at the artwork in Artist's Alley. I knew Aaron Goodwin from Ghost Adventures was going to hang out with Adam Michaels. Aaron immediately recognized me and we had to get a pic of us Big Steppin'.
Aaron and I
Big Steppin'!
Artwork from Adam Michaels... now I owe him 100 Nazi scalps.
After walking around some more and seeing some great cosplayers. I notice a very particular name in Artist Alley. The artist was away from the table but as I checked out their artwork, it was definitely them. I am speaking of none other than the great James O'Barr. If you need to google who that is, please slap yourself. James O'Barr is the creator of the Crow, the mastermind behind the comics that inspired the movies. When he walks behind the table, I freeze up... then blurt out, "You're James O'Barr!" "Yeah, I am." He was one of the coolest people you could ever talk to. And REALLY humble! I tell him how amazing his artwork is and how he was the first person to get me into the darker style comics. He was flattered. We talked about a bunch of things and in the end he gave both Dee and I a little Crow pin. What an epic way to begin Chicago.

James O'Barr and I... (goes and squeals in the corner)
Day Two at CCC:

I actually had to spend that morning fixing the plug in my oil pan on my Volkswagen. The threading was shot and the rubber was chipping away. One of the people at AutoZone helped me since the plug was stuck. We got it fixed right there in the parking lot. Nothing beats a dirty morning covered in oil and grease.

The second day seemed to be our quiet day. We attended a panel with Alan Goldsher and his discussion about Scary Funny novels. He read a snippet from his book "Paul is Undead: The British Zombie Invastion" and a little bit from his new piece which is "The Sound of Music" with vampires. As well as we hit the rest of the tables at Artist Alley where I picked up Headless Horsewoman and had it signed by the artist.

Headless Horsewoman by Tommy Castillo
Day Three at CCC:

The busy day. First thing on my agenda was to meet the Boondock Saints. I had the chance to meet Sean Patrick Flannery at last year's SDCC. He is as stunning in person as he looks on the screen... I will say that. This time, not only did I get to say hello to Sean again but I got to meet Norman Reedus and David Della Rocco, which BTW he is just as scatterbrained as in the movie but loves hugs.

Norman Reedus and I
Sean Patrick Flannery and I
David Della Rocco and I
 Just before the Costume Contest, the 501st Legion was doing a raffle. If you got caught with their badge, they would give you a ticket. At 5:01pm (lol) on Saturday they picked about 23-25 winners of random Star Wars memorabilia. I had a total of 3 tickets and I actually won something, Micro Machines collectables! One was a set of three vehicles from Return of the Jedi (a Speeder Bike with Rebel Pilot, an Imperial Shuttle Tyderium, and an A-Wing Starfighter) and the other one is an Imperial Landing Craft diecast.

When it came to the Costume Contest, there was roughly about 150 contestants. There were some awesome cosplayers like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, underwear model Dead Pool, Ed from Cowboy Bebop, and a Joker with a flower that actually shot out steam. By the time they got to me, they had to rush the contestants. Most of us had to wait until they were on stage to announce their costume. When I stepped up in line, one of the judges immediately pointed at me, knowing exactly who I was. I took a single step forward and she announced, "Commander Shepard!" The crowd actually cheered, typically they applauded but they cheered for me! So I decided to give them a show. I do the epic fail dance all the way to the stage. I get up there and after doing some poses for the photographers, I say as loud as I could, "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel!" I took a bow and exited the stage. I knew I wasn't going to win but I was going to make one hell of an appearance, as well as have fun doing it.
 
Nyan Cat onstage at the Costume Contest
The contestants waiting around in the lobby for the winners

After the Costume Contest, Dee and I went to see Unicorn City. A new movie that should be released by the end of this year or early 2012 and it is a total gamer movie. We were rolling on the floor laughing and we especially love the Centaur. It's about some d20 gamers who make a utopian city where they are their characters. I highly recommend seeing it, definitely check out their trailer: http://www.unicorncity.com/

Dee and I with the Centaur from Unicorn City
 Some of the people from Unicorn City invited Dee and I to join them for dinner at The Ram. We agreed, of course. Ended having a blast with them. One of the kookiest bunch of people I have ever had dinner with... I'd say they are nearly as kooky as dining with the newgrounds.com people.

Day Four at CCC:

Final day at Chicago Comic Con. The first thing I do is get in line for the Boondock Saints panel. Because of the pass I had I actually got to enter first (thank you Dee) and have front row seats. I was laughing so hard the entire time. Sean Patrick Flannery just kept cracking out one line gems and doing the funniest things. Norman Reedus started playing songs on his cell phone and putting it up to the microphone. And David Della Rocco said a joke just as epic as in the movie. I hope to upload it to youtube when I get a chance so keep an eye out there. It's just too funny to not share!

Sean Patrick Flannery, Norman Reedus, and David Della Rocco
 During the final hours of the convention, I decided to walk the floor again. I found Christopher Mitten who made the Kane & Lynch comic that takes place in between the games. I picked up my copy (which was on my list of things to buy) and he signed it for me. It's always nice finding other people who love video games as much as I do... speaking of that... As I was going around Artist Alley, someone recognized my Commander Shepard costume and asked me to come to their table. They told me that one of their artists was a big Mass Effect fan. When they pointed at them, it was the judge who announced me at the Costume Contest! Her name is Mina Sanwald and she is one hell of an artist. She told me how she voted for me to win, apparently so did one other judge, so I was actually one of the best ones there. YAY! Since we share a love for Mass Effect and for a certain turian... she made me a quick sketch of me hugging Garrus. What a perfect way to end another convention.

Garrus & I by Mina

 See you space cowboy...

1 comment:

  1. It was really great seeing you at the cosplay competition. I'm definitely not going to forget the look on your face when I announced you on mic. Hell, I don't think i will forget the look on my own face. lol. I was really glad to draw you Shep and Garrus. You really made my weekend! :)

    best,
    Mina Sanwald

    www.callmemina.com

    ReplyDelete